It is committed to the principles set out in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights as adopted by the United Nations in 1948. Its aims include the development of cultural relations amongst its members, a broadening of their general knowledge and an exchange of professional experience. In addition, it seeks to foster mutual help in the social sphere and to contribute, within the limits of its possibilities, to the peaceful co-existence of different peoples and to the preservation of world peace.
The Association undertakes:
- - to encourage personal contacts by organizing exchange visits of individuals and groups, arranging group holidays and initiating pen-friendships.
- - to promote among the police services of all the member Sections respect for law and order.
- - to develop social and cultural activities and to encourage the exchange of professional experiences.
- - to enhance the image of the police in the countries of its member Sections and to help improve relations between the police and the general public.
- - to foster youth exchanges and international youth meetings with a view to promoting greater tolerance and understanding between people, and understanding for the work of the police.
- -to facilitate a regular exchange of publications between the National Sections and to provide an... informer les membres de toutes les questions intéressant I'association grâce à un service fournissant des informations destinées aux publications nationales de l’IPA;
- - to facilitate international co-operation through friendly contacts between police officers of all continents and to contribute to a mutual understanding of professional problems.